Build and manage a pool of research participants, with unique IDs and custom tags.
You can add participants as they are recruited or import them in bulk using a CSV file.
Attributes of a Participant
Participant attributes include:
- Participant ID (automatically generated and unique within an organization)
- Name and contact information
- Status (available or unavailable to be contacted)
- Number of sessions and last session
- Tags (organized by category)
An Important Note About PII
Capturing personally identifiable information (PII) for participants, such as name and contact information, is not required to use Handrail effectively and should only be entered with the permission of each participant, according to the data use policy of your organization.
Selecting Participants for a Study
When conducting interviews using Handrail, the Sessions page of a study allows you to select participants. A new session is created for each participant that you select. When you're ready to conduct the interview with one of those participants, simply open and start the session.
Finding appropriate participants from your pool is easy. With custom tags
General Information on Filling out the Participant Import Template
- When uploaded, a new participant record will be created for each row in the CSV file. The system does not restrict the creation of duplicate participant names, so please make sure you review the information before uploading your file.
- We recommend editing the CSV file using a spreadsheet editor, like Excel. Just put your data into the appropriate cells, and the editor will take care of the CSV syntax for you. Just make sure to save or export the file in CSV format.
- Do not change any of the existing column titles/headers (the first row). Handrail uses those titles to identify the data in each column.
- Handrail does not require participant information to be formatted in a particular way. For best results, ensure that your data is consistently formatted according to the conventions used by your organization.
Example Image Showing Data Columns and Participant Data You Might Enter
Associating Personas with Participants Using the Participant Import Template
To associate a participant with an existing persona, simply enter that persona's name. If a persona name does not match any of your existing personas, a new persona with that name will be created. Details for the new persona must be entered separately in Handrail.
Including Tags Using the Participant Import Template
Previously, we said not to change any of the existing column titles. However, you can add columns. Any additional columns you add to the CSV file will be treated as tag groups. The column title will become a tag group while the entries in that column will become the tags in that tag group.
- To include multiple tags for a particular participant, separate each tag using a semi-colon (;).
- If a cell is left blank in a tag group column, that tag group will not be applied to that participant.
Example Image Showing the Addition of New Columns for Tag Groups and Tags
Need more information or have questions we didn't cover here? Get in touch!